Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Everett turns five!

It's half an hour before September 13th, Everett's birthday.  At this time five years ago I had no idea that my life was about to completely change with the birth of my baby boy.  James Everett Horner was born at 5:34 pm by a forceps delivery after a very long day of laboring.  He was absolutely pure perfection at 6 pounds, 3.6 ounces and 19 1/4" long.  I had never felt such love for another person before I saw his angelic little face. After he was born I was determined to breastfeed, but he was never able to stay awake to eat.  He was also choking every time I laid him in the little hospital bassinet.  I kept telling the nurse that something wasn't right, that something was wrong with my baby.  She was quick to assure me that I was "a new, overworried mom and that he was just fine".  I don't know how many times I called her in that night to tell her I was worried about him, that something wasn't right, but I do know that it was a lot.  I even went as far as getting out of bed and walking down the hall to the nurses station once when I couldn't get her to come when I pushed the nurse call button.  I didn't sleep at all that night because I was so worried about my baby.  Chance had worked overnight the night before and was exhausted and sleeping.  The next morning, Everett was taken to the hospital nursery to be circumcised.  Mere minutes after he was taken back the pediatrician walked into my room and I knew something was wrong.  He told us that Everett was oxygen deprived, that they suspected that something was wrong with his heart, and asked if I had noticed that his color was bad.  I hadn't, but I did know that something was wrong with my baby.  Oh how I wish that I had pushed harder for the nurse to address my concerns, for her to call a doctor.  Everett was intubated, and was in really bad shape in the NICU.  Dr. Capra told me that they were trying to stabilize him to transport him to Dallas Children's Medical Center.  In an instant what was the happiest time in my life turned into a horror show.  I will never forget how it felt to have my whole world crash down on me.  Someone called my Memaw and she went ahead to Dallas to wait for Everett's arrival.  There is so much about all of this that I don't remember, but I distinctly remember asking the CVICU doctor if my baby was going to be ok only to hear him reply that he was oxygen deprived for a long time and they were sure if he would be ok at all, much less cognitively.  During the days, weeks, and months that followed I had to lean on God more heavily than at any other point in my life.  I am so incredibly grateful that my sweet little boy is doing so well and will be celebrating his 5th birthday tomorrow!





Everett has such a sweet spirit and a kind heart.  He plays well with other kids and has been an awesome big brother to Anderson.  He is very sweet to his little brother and has rarely, if ever, exhibited any signs of jealously since Anders was born.  He is quick to share his toys with him, sing to him if he's sad, and celebrate when Anderson does something new.  He has been enjoying school, and has already been learning so much.  He already has a great sense of humor, and makes me laugh so much.  He is so intuitive about the way people are feeling, and it's very difficult for me to hide any kind of emotion from him.  Everett is one of the toughest people I know.  At his check-up last week he weighed 38 pounds, which means he has gained 5 pounds since December.  This is phenomenal for him!  He loves playing outside or with his brother or Bella, painting, wrestling with his daddy, helping me cook, reading, playing Wii, and going to church.  He adores his new pet turtle, Super Turtle.  His favorite color is yellow and his favorite food is Corn Dogs.  Everett has taught me so much about life and what is important in life.  I consider it a great privilege to be his mommy.  Happy 5th Birthday, my darling boy.  I love you more than you will ever know!!! 

No comments: